Counselor Feature: Rachel McGregor


Rachel is currently The Choice Group’s liaison for Project SEARCH in the Hampton Roads area and is excellent at what she does! Even as a long-standing counselor, her passion for it is still very apparent, which is why we chose her as a Featured Counselor!  Congrats, Rachel, your hard work is worth celebrating!

How long have you been with The Choice Group?
    
    About 4 years.

In which areas of Virginia do you work?

    Hampton Roads and Southside.

Do you do any special cases works?

    Project SEARCH Norfolk, Lead Transition Counselor, and I also work with clients who are deaf and hard of hearing.

What was your most memorable experience with TCG?

        I was working with a client who had a hard time navigating his work setting on his own.  He would rely on my verbal prompts to move from aisle to aisle.  Using an app on his iPod, I was able to map out his entire route of the store to complete his tasks.  I recorded my voice along with pictures and written labels to help him navigate the store. After teaching him to use the app, the first time he used the app without my support, he had his headphones in, and he was listening to my voice prompts on the iPod to determine where to go next.  I was standing several aisles away to let him work independently, and I could hear him respond to my prompts by saying "I found it, Rachel!" and "Here it is!".  That was really the first time I was able to see how I was helping my clients become more independent. 

What do you love about your job at TCG?


    I genuinely enjoy seeing my clients become more independent. Working with the transition age students really gives me the opportunity to see my clients grow from high school students into productive members of society.  I love seeing their growth and I love that I am able to be a part of their journey into the working world! 

Comments

Popular Posts!

A Brother and Sister Team Find Independence with Supported Employment

Michael Powell: One Client’s Compassion in Action

2 billion people will need this tech by 2050: Injured vet shares the good and bad

Breaking Barriers in the Hospitality Industry